Friday, February 15, 2008

A Different White Pizza with Salad

I came home from work today with every intention of making a cauliflower-garlic soup from a batch of cauliflower and garlic that I'd roasted a couple of days ago. As I got out my favorite soup and stock pot, I realized that I had an intense craving for pizza.

I looked around in the freezer for a bit. Homemade pizza dough? Check! Homemade pizza sauce? NOPE!

I decided that the lack of sauce wouldn't stop me, because I like white pizza just as much as pizza with tomato sauce. For me, white pizza has a garlic and butter sauce, or sometimes has no sauce at all.

As I began to feel guilty about my poor, neglected batch of roasted cauliflower, it hit me. Why not make a (sort of) white pizza sauce with the garlic and cauliflower, and throw in some beans for a little added protein? I figured I'd put a little salad on top of the pizza, too. After all, what's a proper dinner without a bit of green?

I didn't include the measurements for making the pizza itself, as I made a small-ish one. You'll probably have more than enough of the cauliflower puree to create 2 large pizzas. If you don't use it all, refrigerate it for later use as a dip. (I recommend heating it first, though.)

The pizza and salad combo paired nicely with a glass of pinot grigio.




Cauliflower White Bean "White" Pizza with Salad
For the puree:
2 c cauliflower, roasted
3 cloves garlic, roasted
1 clove fresh garlic
1 c canned Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp green onion, green and white parts, chopped
1/2 tsp fresh thyme, de-stemmed
1/2 tsp fresh oregano leaves
2 - 3 Tbsp olive oil
cayenne pepper
red pepper flakes
kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper

For the salad:
microgreens of your choice
1/2 tsp fresh thyme, de-stemmed
1/2 tsp fresh oregano leaves
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp olive oil
kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper

For the pizza:
pizza dough (homemade or prepared)
fresh whole milk mozzarella
freshly grated parmesan cheese
cayenne pepper
red pepper flakes
kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 500.

Make the cauliflower and white bean puree:
1. In a food processor, combine the cauliflower, garlic, beans, vinegar, lemon juice, green onion, thyme, and oregano. Pulse into a paste.
2. With the motor running, drizzle in enough olive oil to loosen the mixture so that it becomes a smooth paste and moves freely in the processor.
3. Season to taste with salt, cayenne, black pepper, and red pepper flakes.

Assemble the salad:
1. Mix the greens and herbs together in a small bowl.
2. Add lemon juice and olive oil over the salad.
3. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Toss, then refrigerate until pizza is ready.

Assemble the pizza:
1. Pre-bake the pizza crust so that it becomes slightly crisp, but does not turn golden brown.
2. Spread a thin layer of the puree onto the crust. (The thinner the better here.)
3. Tear enough fresh mozzarella to cover the pizza to your liking and place it on top of the puree.
4. Paint the edges of the pizza crust with olive oil.
5. Lightly sprinkle salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes over the pizza.
6. Bake until golden brown and cheese is bubbly.
7. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
8. Mound salad on top of pizza and sprinkle the whole thing lightly with grated parmesan.

0 red beans:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...