Here's an easy salad that makes a light, yet satisfying meal. You'll save some kitchen time by taking some of the highly seasoned marinade and using it as a basis for the salad.
You can be heavy-handed with the spices here, as they will not all stick to the shrimp and the amount used for the dressing will be tempered with additional yogurt. Also, be sure to set aside a little of the marinade to be used for the dressing before throwing in the shrimp!
Grilled Shrimp and Brown Basmati Rice Salad w/Remoulade Dressing
1 lb jumbo shrimp 21 - 25, deveined and tail on
1 cup brown basmati rice
4 Campari tomatoes, quartered
1 small yellow, orange, or red bell pepper, quartered and seeded
1 cup cucumber, large diced
1/2 c canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 green onions, chopped (include white parts)
1 large clove garlic, mashed into a paste with a pinch of kosher salt
2 tbsp remoulade sauce (I like Rex brand from Louisiana.)
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4 tbsp orange juice
1/2 c plain, lowfat yogurt (reserve 1/4 cup for dressing)
1 tsp parsley, minced
1 tsp oregano, stripped from stem
freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning (to taste)
1) Cook rice according to package directions. While the rice cooks, make the marinade/dressing.
2) In a bowl, whisk the garlic, remoulade, and vinegar together.
3) Drizzling in the oil and orange juice, whisking until emulsified.
4) Mix in a 1/4 c of the yogurt, herbs, and spices (to taste). If desired, add a small bit of honey to cut the acid.
5) Place 2 tbsp of the marinade aside in a medium-sized bowl. Set aside for use in the dressing.
6) Take the 2 tbsp of marinade set aside for dressing and whisk in the remaining 1/4 c of yogurt. Adjust seasonings to taste and set aside for step 10.
7) Place shrimp and bell pepper in a large bowl and pour remaining marinade over them. Chill for 15-20 minutes.
8) Grill the shrimp and bell pepper on medium heat until done, turning them over over once or twice. (Sorry. I never really time my shrimp. I just cook them by sight.) Discard marinade used for shrimp.
9) Chop up the grilled bell pepper.
10) In a large bowl, mix the rice, bell pepper, tomatoes, cucumbers, chickpeas, green onion, and dressing.
11) Adjust seasonings and serve with topped with the grilled shrimp.