Thursday, January 24, 2008

Go to the Mardi Gras or make some king cake!

"Get your ticket in your hand
If you wanna go to New Orleans
You know when you get to New Orleans
Somebody'll show you the Zulu King" - from the song, "Mardi Gras in New Orleans" Roy "Professor Longhair" Byrd

In case you didn't already know it, Mardi Gras season is in full swing.

It's the time of year leading up to Mardi Gras, also known as Fat Tuesday. It's the time of year when I get extremely homesick. I think back to a time when we'd hear Mardi Gras songs on the local radio stations and a time when our parents took me and my sister to parades where we caught beads, dubloons, and treats.

Mardi Gras season was also a time to enjoy king cake. I remember inhaling the wonderful, sweet aroma of the first king cake of every season and enjoying that first, doughy-cakey bite, the colored sugar crunching between my teeth.

When I got older, I participated in many a king cake party, where one person buys a king cake and the one who gets the trinket inside (usually a plastic baby or crown, or a bean) becomes Mardi Gras royalty and/or provides the next king cake.



It's that time of year again and I'm far away from home. There are no Mardi Gras tunes on the radio, so I'll listen to them on my iPod. I whipped up a king cake to share with my co-workers. They were really scared of the whole "baby in a cake" idea, but they soon warmed up to the idea of the icing- and sugar-bathed concoction. Meanwhile, I reveled in the scent and taste of Mardi Gras memories!



Happy Mardi Gras!

0 red beans:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...