Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Grow Your Own #4 - LHHTC Salad with Fig Vinaigrette

One of my new favorite food blogs is Andrea's Recipes. Andrea has started a monthly food blog event called Grow Your Own, which showcases foods that are homegrown. Check out the event at http://www.andreasrecipes.com/gyo/.

My first dish for this month's GYO is my Lettuce, Herb, Heirloom Tomato, and Cucumber (LHHTC) Salad with Fig Vinaigrette. Not every single ingredient in my salad is homegrown, but I do know the origins of each ingredient, which is pretty important.



The baby lettuces are of the Salad Bowl variety and were grown in my backyard. The chives and the basil are also homegrown.

The tomato (looks like a Black Krim variety) and the cucumber come from Be Wise Ranch.

The fig preserves were prepared by my parents' neighbors from figs grown on their trees in Louisiana.

I think that just about covers everything. I encourage everyone to start growing what they can, not just for the environment and so that you know where your food comes from, but also because homegrown food tastes so much better! :)

Now for the recipe.

Lettuce, Herb, Heirloom Tomato, & Cucumber Salad with Fig Vinaigrette

For the dressing:
1 - 1 1/2 Tbsp fig preserves
1 Tbsp honey dijon mustard
1 Tbsp flaxseed oil (or grapeseed or olive oils)
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar (use less if desired)

For the salad:
1 large heirloom tomato (any variety), quartered or chunked
1 C cucumber, diced
2 C baby loose leaf lettuce(s), torn into bite sized pieces
2 Tbsp chives, snipped
4 large leaves of basil, chiffonade
kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper

1) Assemble all dressing ingredients in a large bowl.
2) Whisk until thoroughly blended. Season with salt and pepper, whisking to blend.
3) Add salad ingredients to the bowl and toss to coat with the dressing.
4) Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Serves 2.

4 red beans:

Anonymous said...

Right on! Grow your own - been a proponent of that for a long time and food really does taste better when you know that the only travelling that food did was from the garden to the kitchen!

Glad that your varmint hasn't been eating (or not eating much) of the garden veggies.

What's the 00 Flour that you mention in the favorites?

m2

Gumbeaux Gal said...

Yo, m2! Amen. I wish I had more room and more time to do a proper garden. For now, I just have to make do with my container garden.

Nope. The varmint hasn't touched the greens yet. He seems to prefer cat food. ICK!

00 (Double Zero) flour is a very soft extra fine flour good for making pizza doughs, Italian breads, and other baked goods. :> I did some experimenting with it in my pizza dough and the results look promising. However, my oven wasn't quite hot enough the first time around.

Andrea said...

I agree, homegrown food DOES taste wonderful! Your salad looks delicious. I wish that Northern Virginia had the wonderful mild climate of SoCal so that I could grow my own salad greens year round. Oh well, I can dream! Thanks for a delicious entry for Grow Your Own!

gay said...

That's sumptuous! Nothing like fresh anytime.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...