Thursday, October 11, 2007

Dinner for One


Hubby and I make a point of having dinner together every night. I usually cook, but we'll sometimes get takeout when I'm tired. Other times, we'll go out for a fancy dinner just because. On those very rare occasions when I'm at home alone without my favorite dinner companion, I use the time to experiment in the kitchen with ingredients I love, but that he's not so wild about. I absolutely love cottage cheese, but the mere mention of it brings forth a twisted facial expression and a gutteral "UGH" from Hubby, so I pretty much enjoy it as a lunch item.

Here, the cottage cheese melts, providing a rich-tasting, yet low fat and protein-packed sauce. However, the real star of this pasta dish is the cauliflower, which I seared to bring out its sweetness. Yes, Hubby will eat cauliflower, but I think he'd agree that it's not his favorite veggie.

Use any pasta you like in this dish and be sure to enjoy a glass of the white wine alongside it.

Seared Cauliflower and Cottage Cheese Pasta

1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 c cauliflower, cut into slabs, then into bite-sized pieces
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 c of dry white wine
3/4 c low fat cottage cheese (reserve 1/4 cup for topping)
1/2 c whole wheat spaghetti, cooked and drained
1 tbsp chives, snipped
sea salt and cracked black pepper

1) Heat the oil in a saute' pan over high heat.
2) Add the cauliflower and cook without stirring until brown (approx 2 mins).
3) Turn the cauliflower pieces over and cook another 2 mins.
4) Lower the heat to medium and add the garlic, cooking until garlic is fragrant.
5) Add the wine to the pan, scraping up the brown bits with a wooden spoon. Let the mixture simmer.
6) Once the mixture is simmering, add 1/2 c cottage cheese, stirring well so that the cheese melts.
7) Stir in the spaghetti to heat through, then remove from the pan from the heat.
8) Add the chives. Season with salt, black pepper, and cayenne.
9) Plate the pasta and add the 1/4 c of cottage cheese to the top.

YUM!

5 red beans:

Anonymous said...

Yeah yeah...cottage cheez & cauliflower is all well & good...well sorta. But what about that King Crab (and Shrimp) Bisque recipe go?! I had to procure a leftover portion of it from an off-limits conference room and ended up with nothing to show for it!!!




Elaine: Yeah. I met this lawyer, we went out to dinner, I had the lobster bisque, we went back to my place, yada yada yada, I never heard from him again.

Jerry: But you yada yada'd over the best part.

Elaine: No, I mentioned the bisque.

Gumbeaux Gal said...

Yo, M2! Word gets around faster than I can publish these things. I was actually quite surprised that the bisque didn't disappear before I could photograph it.

Excellent Seinfeld quote from one of my favorite episodes! However, one thing that has always bothered me about that one is that the Soup Nazi offered "Jam-ba-la-ya!" Not a soup at all!! ;P

Anonymous said...

Mark did rescue the bisque from a very scary place. I need to figure out a way to make it worth his while.

Anonymous said...

Actually, the recipe enclosed herein...(and not even to mention the Chimichurri!)...is payment enough for me! Great site by the way.


m2

p.s. True enough about the Jam-ba-LIE-uh (Newman pronunciation) served by the SN, who by the way did have a bisque of some kind (bisque does rank highly on the comedically named soups), but when you're not IN Bayou country, something as yummy as jambalaya I think is a welcome site regardless of what food type it may be pegged as...

Gumbeaux Gal said...

Hubby, I can't believe you didn't offer to split your portion of bisque with m2 after his daring rescue of it from the "scary place."

Not sharing your bisque? Tsk. Tsk.

M2, I'll bet that the chimichurri would work with tofu.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...