Sunday, August 26, 2007
I served this fruit salad at a pool party last weekend and it was a big hit. The salad combines the mellow sweetness of melons and the tanginess of vinegar and citrus.
Spicy Melon Salad
1 1/2 lb assorted melon (watermelon, honeydew, canteloupe, muskmelon, etc.), chunked
1 pint blueberries or 2 black plums, cut into eighths
2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
1 Tbsp sugar
1/4 C seasoned rice wine vinegar
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
1/2 tsp cracked black pepper (or more to taste)
1) In a large serving bowl, combine the melon and blueberries or plums.
2) Peel the tangelos and section them with a knife, letting the sections and juices fall over the bowl with the melon and other fruit.
3) In a small bowl, whisk the cilantro, vinegar, sugar, and peppers until the sugar is dissolved.
4) Pour the cilantro/vinegar mixture over the fruit and toss gently to coat.
5) Chill for 4 hours before serving.
6) Garnish with cilantro sprigs.