Wednesday, May 30, 2007
No spice compliments shellfish as beautifully as saffron. This dish showcases the combination and adds peas for a sweet and textural contrast. Enjoy!
1 quart chicken, veggie, or seafood stock
3 Tbsp olive oil
12 oz arborio rice
8 oz shallots, minced
3 - 4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 tsp saffron threads
3 Tbsp grated Parmesan Cheese
1 tsp lemon zest, minced
3 Tbsp fresh parsley, chiffonade
2 Tbsp lemon juice
4 oz English peas (fresh or frozen and defrosted)
1/2 lb shrimp, cooked, shelled, and deveined (set aside shells)
1/2 lb white lump crabmeat
black pepper (freshly ground)
1) In a large pot, simmer the stock with the shrimp shells. The stock must be kept hot for adding to the rice.
2) In a large saute' pan over medium heat, sweat the garlic and shallots in the olive oil. Do not brown.
3) Add the rice to the saute' pan and stir to coat in the olive oil.
4) Add the white wine and saffron to the rice and stir until the wine is absorbed.
5) Add the stock one ladle at a time, stirring the rice constantly until all liquid is absorbed.
6) Add more stock, stirring and repeating until rice is smooth, creamy and not "crunchy" -- approx. 20 minutes.
7) Add the parmesan cheese and stir until smooth. You can add 2 Tbsp of butter at this point for shine, but I find it unnecessary.
8) Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, peas, half of the parsley, salt, pepper, and cayenne, stirring to mix.
9) Add the shrimp and crab, stirring gently to heat through. Adjust seasonings.
10) Plate and garnish with remaining parsley.